Saturday, April 23, 2016

Henry




Henry

All right, Pa.
You want me to invent a better story?
Youngest son

grows up to become
the world's first famous
ukulele musician.

Deprived of violin and trumpet
by his older brothers,
he discovers a musical passion

all his own. Deeply regrets
missing out on a life of farm work.
How's that for invention?

The truth will be:
Youngest son inherits farm,
makes agriculture his ambition.

Finds fame
in cattle and crops.
His regrets? None.


©Mary Lee Hahn, 2016



3 comments:

  1. This is just wonderful. I love the premise of the invented story and the real story. I love the last stanza and also being deprived of violin and trumpet. Siblings are all the same!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be he still loves that uke. I'm so glad he has no regrets! My hubs says: it's easier to live with failure than with regret. I'm enjoying this series so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the ending, and the general joie de vivre in this one...

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.