Monday, December 10, 2012

Self-Esteem Week: Everyone Counts



One
by Kathryn Otoshi
KO Kids Books, 2008

Blue is a little blue because Red picks on him. But along comes One, with a new message for the colors: Everyone counts!

Next time Red comes along, Blue stands up for himself and doesn't let Red roll over him. All the colors (now numbers) take a stand and tell red, "NO."

Blue is pretty special. As Red is rolling away, small and defeated, Blue calls out, "Can Red be hot...AND Blue be cool?" And One chimes in "Red can count, too."

ONE is a simple book with a big message: "Sometimes it just takes One."

I'm not sure how I missed this book 4 years ago, but I was glad to spot it at NCTE at the Books for Children Luncheon. I didn't sit at Kathryn Otoshi's table, but this title was one of my first purchases when I got home!

All this week, I'll be featuring books to build self-esteem.


3 comments:

  1. This is a great book for younger readers with such a strong message. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our counselor just used this book last week in 5th grade!

    EmilyK

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this book Mary Lee. I read it at the beginning of the year and it was one of my student's favorite picture book. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.