Monday, January 14, 2008

Hmmm....

So, how did I do over here in "attempting to have read the Newbery" land?

Newbery:
Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! by Laura Amy Schlitz
Haven't read it, but it was one of the four last-ditch-effort books I TRIED to get at Cover to Cover on Saturday. They were sold out. I have one on hold.

Newbery Honors:
Elijah of Buxton by Christopher Paul Curtis Also on my last-ditch-effort list.
The Wednesday Wars by Gary Schmidt

Feathers by Jacqueline Woodson
Again, on my last-ditch-effort list.

Caledcott:
The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick YAY! Not only have I read it, but my students have all read along in a shared read aloud.

The Caldecott Honors are a moot point for me. I don't follow picture books so much.

The Cybils had some canny nominating committees:

The Newbery winner Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! is a Poetry finalist
Newbery Honor title Wednesday Wars is a YA finalist
Sibert Winner/Caldecott Honor title The Wall is a MG/YA Nonfiction finalist
Caldecott Honor Knuffle Bunny is a Fiction Picture Book finalist
Odyssey Honor audiobook Skulduggery Pleasant is a Fantasy/Science Fiction finalist
Printz Honor title Your Own Sylvia is a Poetry finalist
Printz Honor title Repossessed is a Fantasy/Science Fiction finalist
Sibert Honor book Lightship is a Nonfiction Picture Book finalist
Geisel Honor book Vulture View is a Nonfiction Picture Book finalist
(thank you Jen and Tricia for cross-referencing all of these)

**Edited to add: The above info was also at the Cybils site. Shame on me for not looking there first!**

If you want to know the truth, the best part of the day was getting the results by text message as I sat at my desk working before school. Whoever it was at ALA who thought that one up deserves a prize all her/his own!

3 comments:

  1. Lawd, do I wish I had done the text message thing! Not only did our school's power go out this morning for a half an hour, I found out that our new filtering system filters out certain webcasting and streaming which is why I was unable after 900 attempts to watch the show live online.
    Needless to say, power came back on right when kids were to be there at 15 after and I was able locate information very quickly online. I love this century and technology! 8/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeh. I liked finding out in txt messages---mine were straight from my librarian sister who was in the audience. What an excellent book year we've had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, the text messaging from ALA was terrific. I hope they continue to do it in future years.
    -Susan

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.