Wednesday, January 04, 2006

More 2005 Children's Books

Well, I am trying to read a few of the last 2005 books before the Newbery Award is announced on January 23. This week, I finished A WREATH FOR EMMETT TILL by Marilyn Nelson. Mary Lee had recommended it and it is AMAZING. Such a powerful book. I can't imagine that it won't win a big award. It is a book that I want to read again (and again). So many layers.

I also finished THE KING OF MULBERRY STREET by Donna Jo Napoli. Beth at Cover to Cover recommended it to me. I really liked it. One of my favorites of the year. It is a great piece of historical fiction. I wouldn't have picked it up without Beth's recommendation and I really, really liked it. I am anxious to share it with my class. Wonder if any of them will read it.

I brought several of the 2005 books that I read over vacation into school today. They love new books! A DOG'S LIFE by Ann M. Martin seemed to be the one that they were most excited to get their hands on.

I am hoping to get 2-3 more read before the announcement. One of them is HARRY SUE by Sue Stauffacher. It looks good and has been on several lists.

Mary Lee, are we going to try to figure out which book we think/hope will win again this year? We are never right, but it is always fun to give it a shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is turned on.